There are a number of treatments that can make your face feel softer and look more youthful. One of the best things that you can do for yourself is to exfoliate your skin. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the outer layer of the skin, which reveal a healthier and more beautiful appearance. It is essential to take a closer look at the exfoliation process and the benefits that it brings.
REASONS WHY EXFOLIATION WORKS
Although most skincare routines involve cleansing each day, this only removes dirt and oils from the surface of your skin. To maintain a youthful complexion, it is necessary to exfoliate on a regular basis. When you don’t exfoliate, dead skin cells can accumulate, and they can clog pores and can accentuate fine lines on your face. When you exfoliate, you get rid of the dead cells and your radiant skin that lies beneath the surface is allowed to shine.
TYPES OF EXFOLIATION
There are two main types of exfoliation. These include chemical and mechanical means of treatment. During chemical exfoliation, acidity or enzymes are utilized. With mechanical exfoliation, a tool or product is used to physically eliminate the top layer of cells from your face.
- Chemical peels. Europe PubMed Central describes chemical peels as adaptable treatments that involve chemical exfoliation of the skin for cosmetic enhancement. Chemical peels have varying ingredients that target different skin conditions. They are an option to resurface and smooth the skin, which in the long run, can help tighten fine lines and wrinkles, fade sun spots, and help with active acne.
- Enzymes. The National Institute of Health explains that enzymes are another way to perform a chemical exfoliation. Since these are often taken from fruits and other natural substances, they work slower than acids. This means that they are more gentle if you have sensitive skin.
- Microbeads. Many beauty products that are used to exfoliate your face contain microbeads, or tiny particles that gently scrub away debris. However, these items are being phased out for their negative impact on the environment, and they can cause microtears in the skin.
- Granules. Both small and large granules are used to exfoliate as well. These materials are generated from nature. Small granules like jojoba seeds are perfect if you have sensitive skin. On the other hand, large granules of pumice may be used if you need something stronger.
- Other Natural Materials. There are other items that come from nature and have an abrasive quality that can remove dead cells from your face. For example, crushed nuts or fruit pits can be used as exfoliants. However, their irregular edges may cause damage.
BENEFITS OF EXFOLIATION
After discussing the different types of exfoliation, it is important to examine the benefits that it brings.
- Unblocks Pores. During exfoliation, pores are opened. This means that blackheads and whiteheads are less likely to occur. As dead cells are eliminated, oils and other environmental factors do not have a chance to build or to become stuck in your pores. This gives you a clear complexion that is free of acne as well.
- Helps Skin Care Products Penetrate. When pores are not clogged, any products that you include in your daily skincare routine can penetrate deeper. Therefore, things like moisturizers can get to levels that are not possible without exfoliation. This helps your face glow from within.
- Evens the Complexion. It is common to suffer from hyperpigmentation, acne scars, and other blemishes. Exfoliation has the power to eliminate dry patches and dead cells so that a smoother texture and more even color is left behind.
- Increases Circulation and Cellular Turnover. Exfoliation stimulates the lymphatic system and encourages drainage. It increases the amount of oxygen that is delivered to your face as well. This encourages cellular turnover. As a result, you enjoy a more radiant appearance that keeps you looking fresh.
- Stimulates Collagen Production. Exfoliation has an anti-aging effect on your face. Certain products contain thermal technology that mixes chemical and mechanical exfoliation to increase collagen production. Therefore, your face will look plump, tight, and more youthful.
PROS AND CONS OF EXFOLIATION
To repeat, exfoliation unblocks your pores and quickens skin regeneration. This helps to prevent breakouts. Also, it helps to even your overall complexion.
On the other hand, many individuals cite some cons to the exfoliation process. To begin, if you exfoliate too often, it may cause more harm than good. Scrubbing overly hard can lead to irritation and dryness. Also, it has been mentioned that certain products contain beads that leak into the water supply and cause harm to marine life.
It is important to make sure that you always use sunblock after exfoliating your face as well. You will become extra sensitive to UV rays, and you are more likely to burn. Therefore, it is vital to protect your face.
CHOOSING THE BEST EXFOLIATION FOR INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES
Your skin type will dictate the best type of exfoliation to perform. Being able to identify your needs will help you uncover the right products so that you achieve the best results.
- Dry. Since your dry face may have difficulties absorbing moisture, it is advised to use a product that eliminates dead cells while replenishing natural moisture. A chemical exfoliant with AHAs, BHAs, and tiny granules will work best.
- Oily. If you have a ton of oil on your face, you should exfoliate multiple times each week. A product with AHAs and BHAs will get the job done.
- Combination. An oily T-zone may benefit from a product that utilizes mechanical and chemical exfoliation. Using products with salicylic acid and exfoliating beads will work to keep your complexion looking its best.
- Sensitive. Harsh products, including items that involve mechanical exfoliation, might be too rough for your face. Therefore, you should use a product that uses natural enzymes.
Exfoliation eliminates the top layer of your skin and leaves your face looking fresh and feeling soft. Choosing the correct products for your needs will leave you with a radiant glow. To be sure, the benefits of facial exfoliation are numerous. It is something that should be added to your normal beauty routine.